5 Quick tips to avoid the peer pressure of spending more than you intended
- Know your budget ahead of time. Have a concrete idea of how much is too much for you to spend.
- Propose an alternative. I would prefer to eat at a place in this range or at place X.
- Offer to split the cost. Going to a wedding, can we chip in on a gift together? Or if out to eat, anyone want to split a meal? In this way you can get more out of your budget.
- Practice saying No. I can’t do that today, its just not in my budget right now.
- Surround yourself with friends who understand and support your goals. In some instances, you’ll have to change your network of friends to accomplish this.